Let’s Discuss: Washing Your Hair

let's-discuss:washing-your-hair

I have always washed my hair everyday because I have oily hair and so I thought that’s what I was supposed to do. However, after speaking with industry professionals I learned that washing is what causes the scalp to produce more oil, and thus hair becomes dependent on daily shampooing. Once I found this out I began my search for the best dry shampoos out there – and let me tell you, I have tried a lot! Tresemme, Redken, Got2B, and Furterer, to name a few.

One dry shampoo that I came across this past year that blew me away is the Oscar Blandi Invisible Dry Shampoo; it smells amazing, is completely invisible [so you won’t have that strange white cast on your crown], and most importantly – does the best job at soaking up oil and making hair look fresh.

Another change in my hair routine that I have made this past year is switching to sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners, and the L’Oreal EverCreme line has been a staple in my shower. I find that with these products my hair feels lighter, softer and looks much more healthy.

Even though I have found the perfect dry shampoo for me I am still weary about going 2-3 days between washes, even though I have been told that it is perfectly normal. So I wanted to ask all of you – how often do you wash your hair? What kind of shampoo do you use? And, do you use a dry shampoo between washes? If so, which brand?

1. January 3, 2014 / 7:45 pm

I love my batiste and they make them for blondes and brunettes but I recently tried the oribe texturizing spray not as dry shampoo but to give me some volume and it made my hair oily after day 1 and usually I wash my hair every other day. I am still trying to use it in different ways to see if I can make it work because of the fact that it was so expensive but after the first couple tries I’m not that impressed

2. January 3, 2014 / 7:50 pm

I’m probably going to be condoned for this, and if I am, I am. I have no experience in what to do for proper upkeep of your hair, what make up to use or any of that. I’m just now diving into that world in order to well… be girly.

I use tresemme anti breakage shampoo and conditioner and when I switch(I switch back and forth to keep my hair from being dependent on one shampoo. I heard that happens..tell me if I’m wrong) I use pantene Ultimate 10 shampoo and conditioner in 1.

I straighten my hair and use garnier spray to help my hair against the heat and hair spray to keep it from going fuzzy mode during the humid hot days(sometimes even the really cold days too)

I shampoo every other day though, I never wash my hair everyday.

3. January 3, 2014 / 7:51 pm

I wash my hair on a Wednesday, Friday and Sunday- by Wednesday its pretty vile so I have to use some type of dry shampoo but apart from that my hair seems to cope fine. I use any shampoo or conditioner but if sulphate free makes a difference I am willing to give it a try and I use the So..dry shampoo, I love it more than batiste x

4. January 3, 2014 / 7:57 pm

I wash my hair every other day, so like one day wash the next day not, just because I have really sensitive skin so if I wash it every day my head gets really itchy. I don’t use any dry shampoo πŸ™‚

5. January 3, 2014 / 8:27 pm

My hair is very fine and very oily, I usually have noticeable oil by the end of the day, not to mention the next morning, so I wash every day. I did go through a period where I was unemployed for a few months and only washed every other day and it did seem to be less oily, but not enough of a difference that I would feel comfortable going out in public on day two.

6. January 3, 2014 / 9:06 pm

If I’m going out, every single time. When I’m staying in I leave it between 2-3 days, sometimes even longer if I have a treatment/oil on it. I notice my hair feels/looks a lot more healthier the less I wash it. I usually use Dove/V05 and Pantene shampoos/conditioners but I’m thinking of swapping to SLS free ones as they are meant to be fantastic for your hair.

7. January 3, 2014 / 9:18 pm

My hair is oily too. I wash mine every 2 or 3 days and at the moment i’m obsessed with Loreal and I’m using their products now. I don’t use any dry shampoo. Just a mask and oil after.

8. January 3, 2014 / 9:21 pm

I will usually go about 2-3 days without shampoo. I know exactly how you feel about the oily root issue, but I find the rest of my hair was suffering way too much from a daily scrub. I have played a bit with dry shampoo, Oscar’s being my favorite for its transparency. So many of them have the “white Christmas effect,” which is just embarrassing. The only thing I find challenging with the dry shampoo is that sometimes my hair will feel a little stiff. Otherwise, it has definitely been a go-to in my routine.

9. January 3, 2014 / 11:59 pm

I have for a very long time been totally against washing my hair every day. I have normal to dry hair so that may be the number one reason as to why I don’t feel like I need to wash it all the time or maybe my hair is normal to dry because I don’t wash it every day???? I don’t use dry shampoo either. As far as regular shampoos … my favorite brand is the Oribe. all their shampoos smell so good and my most favorite from the entire line is the shine one. It comes in a blue bottle. Love, Love, Love them.

Great article.
    XoXo
    Ana

10. January 4, 2014 / 1:15 am

I haven’t actually washed my hair in a few years. I completely gave it up! I use a very good conditioner instead. I find that my seriously overprocessed hair looks much shinier and healthier and has less breakage. If you read the ingredients on the conditioner bottle, it’s the same as the corresponding shampoo, only with moisturizers and nothing to make it suds up (which can actually strip your hair). If I were to get mud or something in my hair, I might resort to shampoo, but otherwise it’s all conditioning for me!

11. January 4, 2014 / 1:40 am

That is partially why I wash my hair once a week though being Asian with the coarse hair type (cury, thick, wiry) I don’t actually have to wash it more than once every couple of weeks if it weren’t for the masses of pollution. Actually if there was no or little pollution I’d barely wash it at all lol since it does better with its own oil. But that said I find it does well with homemade shampoo/conditioner (all in one) recipes.
    x

12. January 4, 2014 / 7:39 pm

Thank you guys so much for all of your comments – I have thoroughly enjoyed reading them! xx

13. January 4, 2014 / 11:45 pm

I LOVE Dryspun. I use it almost everyday, even on freshly blow dried hair. It’s one of the most versatile products I’ve come across so far. I wash it about every other day and I have very fine hair so Dryspun is amazing. It is pricey but it lasts me long enough to be worth it.

14. January 5, 2014 / 6:19 am

I wash my hair maybe 2 or 3 times a week at the very most and since I’ve changed up that routine my hair has been in such better condition. Granted, I didn’t have oily hair but very damaged and dull hair and cutting back on the times I’ve washed it has helped quite a bit. I do wet my hair every day and then style and if I have too much product in it I will wash more than 2x a week. But try not to wash too much. Batiste is my very favorite dry shampoo!

15. January 6, 2014 / 4:36 am

I wash my hair everyday. I did try to wash it about 2-3 times a week for a couple of months and it just really didn’t work for me (primarily because we don’t have dry shampoo here at least where I live). But here in the Philippines, pollution is just so bad so I think even if we have dry shampoo available, we still have to wash our hair everyday because of all the dirt

16. January 6, 2014 / 11:44 pm

My hair is so fine that I tend to wash it every day to give it volume if I’m heading out in the real world. I like Dry Spun , Batiste & Lush No Drought ( which smells of fish lemons).
    mygrannydresser.wordpress.com

17. January 6, 2014 / 11:45 pm

My hair is so fine that I tend to wash it every day to give it volume if I’m heading out in the real world. I like Dry Spun , Batiste & Lush No Drought ( which smells of fresh lemons).
    mygrannydresser.wordpress.com

18. January 12, 2014 / 11:34 pm

The best dry shampoo I have ever used and remain faithful is Kevin Murphy Fresh Hair Dry Cleaning Spray.

19. January 15, 2014 / 4:25 pm

Have you got a post dedicated on sulphate free shampoos? I’d like to buy one but I have no idea on what is good/bad for me!

20. January 24, 2014 / 12:36 pm

Hi Sarah! I used to absolutely HAVE to wash my hair every day – sometimes twice if I was heading out in the evening. I’ve been on a different haircare regimen for my wedding and I now only need to wash my hair 2x a week…it still feels so strange, but actually it looks better towards day 3! Dry shampoo helped ease me into this, but now I don’t need anything. It is SO worth it. My hair is growing at a crazy speed, it smells better (!?) and is super shiny.