If you’re anything like me, then you like to change it up in the handbag arena every now and then, which usually means moving over all of my things from one large handbag to another large handbag. More recently, though, I have been opting for my smaller cross-body bags because I’d rather not head into school with one enormous bag that holds my laptop and books, and a second equally large bag that holds all of my personal belongings. This means that I have to narrow down what I bring with me to the essentials – five to seven lip products is a little excessive to be carrying around anyway I guess [sigh].
Here are all of my small handbag essentials that will have you covered for a long day or night out:
- JCrew Wallet Case for iPhone 5: this functional case saves me from having to try to squeeze my large wallet into a smaller bag or clutch. It has three slots for credit cards, and a pocket for cash.
- Face Powder: I never like to go anywhere without powder – especially if I know that I’ll be out for the day. This Benefit Hello Flawless face powder is perfect for on the go; it contains a good sized mirror, brush and sponge, which makes application in a library cubby a breeze.
- Concealer: it seems that for me at least, pesky blemishes pop up at all the wrong times – usually when I forget to throw a concealer in my bag. This is why I plan to keep this compact concealer* by Rande James in my handbag at all times. Similar to that of Bobbi Brown’s, the formula of this long-wearing concealer is thick and creamy, and completely covers blemishes with only a tiny amount of product.
- Tweezers: I like to keep a tweezer on hand because, well, stray hairs happen! This mini pink tweezer by Tweezerman is the perfect size for a smaller purse.
- Lipstick: I need to have a great nude lipstick with me at all times, and Jouer’s Hydrating Lipstick in Meredith looks great no matter what the occasion. The formula of this lipstick is creamy and moisturizing, so a chap stick or lip balm isn’t necessary.
- Lip Gloss: this Nyx Mega Shine Lip Gloss in Perfect is, just as its name suggests, perfect for adding extra shine and sparkle on bare lips or overtop of your favorite lipstick.
- Eyeliner: even if I don’t put on eyeliner in the morning, I like having it with me just in case. This black gel eyeliner by Marc Jacobs creates an instant sexy, smoldering eye look when applied to the waterline and the color stays put until you take it off.
- Perfume: perfume samples like this one from Jo Malone are the perfect size for throwing in a small purse or clutch if you want to spruce yourself up throughout the day.