Happy Friday! Yes, I did just make up the term “hangover face”- but I’m sure you know what I’m talking about. Puffy skin, massive bags underneath the eyes, chapped lips, an all around terrible look, really. With Martin Luther King Jr. day right around the corner I’m sure a lot of you have weekend trips planned, which could mean staying out later and having an extra drink knowing you’ll have more time to recover before the work/school week begins.
For this post I wanted to create a list of steps you can take that will help you to feel and look well rested, and not like you took 5 pickleback shots the night before [who else likes these?].
- First and foremost, hydrate! After a long night out I love having a large pineapple coconut water in the morning – I don’t know if it’s purely a mental thing, but it really does make me feel better. You also don’t want to forget to hydrate your skin – my personal favorite moisturizer is this Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion from the drugstore. It does the job and never feels heavy or greasy.
- Brighten: skin can look dull after a long night of drinking, so I would recommend adding a liquid illuminator to your foundation and concealing underneath eyes with a brightening concealer. Revlon’s Photoready Skinlights is perfect for brightening your complexion [I just add a tiny drop to my foundation], and Maybelline’s Dream Lumi Touche Concealer does a wonderful job of concealing dark circles and brightening the under eye area.
- Control Shine: to keep shine at bay without covering up the glow-y base go for Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Diffused Light. This powder will also help to perfect your skin and minimize the appearance of pores.
- Warm up those cheeks: for glowing, healthy cheeks reach for Le Metier de Beaute’s Creme Fresh Tint for Lip and Cheek in Coral Nymph. I take a small amount of this product and tap it onto the apples of my cheeks using a circular motion.
- Open your eyes: champagne or peachy-pink shimmer eyeshadows, like Mac’s All That Glitters, do a lovely job of brightening the eye are for a wide-eyed effect, especially when applied to the center of the lids and on the inner corners of the eyes. To define the eyes a bit more take Mac’s Teddy Eye Kohl and apply it only to the outer half of the upper lash line, pulling up slightly at the outer corners. To further open up the eyes apply several coats of Maybelline’s The Falsies Mascara to upper lashes only.
- Moisturize your pout: for a fresh lip look use a tinted lip balm or creamy shimmer lip gloss. Two of my favorites that go great with this look are the L’oreal Colour Riche Balm in Caring Coral, and Laura Mercier’s Lip Glace in Kiss of Hope.
- Add volume: if you don’t feel like washing and drying your hair because you’re exhausted after a long night, avoid flat, dull hair with Bumble and Bumble’s Thickening Dryspun Finish spray. A few sprays to the roots and ends of your hair and you’re good to go!