Growth

growth

growth

growth

growth

Today I want to get a bit more personal with you guys and discuss something I’ve always struggled with. Growing up an only child, I’ve always been pretty shy and though I cherish time alone, I’ve never been one to go out and do things on my own. Sure, I enjoy solo shopping or a trip to the grocery store, but exploring a city? Never.

Since moving to DC I have been been trying to get out of my comfort zone. Trying to be more open, more outgoing, more spontaneous. It started with taking spin classes at a studio that I had never been to and didn’t know anyone at. More recently, when I made plans with a friend to meet in NYC for dinner and drinks, I decided that I was going to head in early and explore a couple of my favorite places, the MET and Central Park, by myself. This may not seem like a big deal, but for me, it was a big step towards becoming a more independent person.

I can’t explain how exhilarating it felt to walk around the park with the sun shining, taking in  my beautiful city and all of its sounds. There is something so peaceful about being alone with your thoughts, staring at a Monet and truly enjoying its beauty in silence.

I am going to continue to challenge myself to get out of my comfort zone by taking new classes and perhaps attending a blogger meetup. If you do anything to get out of your comfort zone, I would love to hear it!

1. March 15, 2014 / 6:59 pm

I’m also an only child and I do like time alone, even though I also love talking to people a lot! I don’t know if it’s being an only child but things that scares people like going to the theatre on my own don’t scare me. I can either go with people or alone. The only things that get me self conscious though is walking in a new “sport” class, when people already seem to have form groups!

March 16, 2014 / 2:47 pm

Thank you so much for your comment!

2. March 16, 2014 / 3:04 am

Congratulations on doing something to stretch yourself! I’m really glad you enjoyed yourself, and that the experience was positive for you.

I’m not exactly a shy sort of person, though I really do love to spend time alone (another only child here, ha ha). This means I’m pretty comfortable with most things, so I don’t really “need” to venture out of my comfort zone to get the things I want to do done. That probably means I don’t challenge myself enough, though.

The only thing I’m really hesitant about or frightened of is reading my writing in public– maybe that’s something I should work towards in the future, because god knows I’ve been thinking about it for a while. Thanks for making me focus on the issue: I’m going to look up some writers’ groups in my area over the coming weeks. Good luck with your own zone-pushing experiences! I hope you’ll continue to share them with us. <3

March 16, 2014 / 2:50 pm

I’m so glad that my post spoke to you – I can’t tell you how happy that makes me! I think a writers’ group is an excellent idea; I’m sure you’ll find that such a group will make you gain the confidence you need to overcome the fear of sharing your writings in public!

3. March 16, 2014 / 10:36 am

What a beautiful post Sarah 🙂 I’d love to follow in your footsteps and explore a city on my own… I think the freedom of doing whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted would be great! Something I’ve recently done outside my comfort zone was share my blog with people I actually know o: lol it’s probably not a big deal to some people, but idk I’ve never really shared my blog with real-life friends cos I think they’d judge me and my writing but so far, so good! It’s the little things I suppose haha.

March 16, 2014 / 2:52 pm

Thank you!! I had the same fear when I started my blog. A few people close to me encouraged me to share my blog on social platforms, and I am so glad that I did!

4. March 16, 2014 / 6:11 pm

A beautiful, honest post Sarah I really enjoyed reading this. You may not think it, but moving to a city/state where you didn’t grow up in is so brave! I have 2 siblings and I still have times where I don’t like doing things alone so you aren’t alone. It’s so true about getting out of your comfort zone it totally is the first step. Some people just find things easier in that sense more than others, maybe because they have had no choice so they just get used to it and get on with it? I don’t know… Anyways before I babble on forever I hope to read more of your “out of the comfort zone” activities and triumphs x

5. March 17, 2014 / 5:09 pm

Lovely blog post, Sarah! I faced the same challenges and it got better over time and now it is hardly an issue anymore. With that being said, you go, girl! 🙂