Although it isn’t exactly warm outside yet [ok, it’s freezing], I have begun to reorganize my closet, swapping out dark, chunky sweaters for tees, button downs and light cardigans. When making this transition from the bitter winter cold to somewhere around 50 and 60 degrees, I find that having a few staple pieces – versatile items that can be worn in a variety of ways – is key. Here are a few of my picks:
- The White Tee: stocking up on a few soft white t-shirts is essential for me because they can be worn with anything; a plain tee can be dressed up underneath a tailored blazer, or worn casually with a cardigan and pair of ripped jeans. I’m loving this long, fitted v-neck from Calson.
- The Colorful Scarf: to transition into spring I put away my dark, knitted scarves and instead reach for those that are lighter, brighter and more colorful. This one from Echo is the perfect white tee accessory, and looks equally lovely worn with a simple black dress.
- The Simple Black Dress: speaking of black dresses, this one from Brandy Melville is light enough [material wise] to wear in spring and summer, and you can start wearing it now on colder nights paired with black tights, a long cardigan and black pumps or booties.
- The Chambray Shirt: a light-wash chambray shirt like this one from Old Navy is a year-round staple for me. For now I’ll pair it with a black pant or black skinny jean and throw a sweater overtop, and during the summer I’ll pair it with a white jean, or worn unbuttoned over a casual dress.
- The Light Cardigan: confession – I am a bit of a cardigan hoarder. In the warmer months I switch out my chunky sweaters for light cardigans, and this one from Brandy Melville looks great with anything.
- The Messanger Bag: I love my carry-all satchels and totes in the fall and winter, but when it’s warm out I can’t be bothered by lugging around a heavy purse. This over-the-shoulder bag from Rebecca Minkoff looks adorable with shorts and a sundress, and is surprisingly roomy inside.
- The Brown Bootie: if you’re a boot fanatic like I am, not to fear! We can still wear boots in the spring and summer. These booties from Sam Edelman are crazy comfortable and go really well with a skinny pant, short-short or shirt dress.