This past weekend we went to the beach and, at some point, I got suntan lotion in my right eye. Being me, I applied a little tinted moisturizer, bronzer, blush, cream shadow and a waterproof mascara that morning (I know, OD for a beach day). I was trying my hardest not to touch my eye, but it started burning like crazy, so in that moment I thought it would be a great idea to pour an entire bottle of water on my face. The makeup I had applied earlier was for nothing, and I was OK with that.
A few years ago I would have felt self conscious with bare eyes, barely any makeup on my face. Now that I’ve gotten my skincare game down [aka, Cetaphil and either a Glossier, Le Metier de Beaute, or It Cosmetics Moisturizer], and realized it doesn’t matter what others think about what I am or am not wearing, I feel confident heading out makeup-free.
Later that same day, I washed my face and applied a tinted moisturizer, blush, and highlighter. That was it. With those three products on my face we headed out for the rest of the day and, I couldn’t have felt more confident. I was complimented, and really think that my skin looked the best it has in a while. Since this past Sunday I’ve been going super easy on the makeup and loving it, focusing my effort on highlighting my cheeks, bridge of my nose, inner corners of my eyes – ev.er.y.where.
Ok, that’s a big introduction for a favorite-highlighters post – a post that is in collaboration with the lovely Amelia of Amelia Says! A lady whose photography I have admired for a long time. Her highlight is always on point; she’s a girl after my own heart. We both wanted to share our favorite highlighters for summer 2017 – check out her blog + Instagram for her picks [as I will be] and, here are mine:
- Charlotte Tilbury Beach Stick in Moon Beach – I’ll wear this as a highlight or an easy blush for a golden, peachy glow
- Glossier Haloscope in Quartz and Moonstone – super natural highlight with really, really fine shimmer. Really can’t overdo it with this one
- Tom Ford Skin Illuminator – if you’ve seen my Instagram stories lately, or any photos, you’ll know I’ve been loving this peachy, pinky, goldy liquid. Gorgeous as a barely-there blush or highlight
- Tom Ford Shade & Illuminate Palette – ok, I know Tom Ford is expensive. HOWEVER, I’ve had this for a long time, and it looks like I’ve made a small dent. I really haven’t found anything as stunning as the highlight in this palette. Also, the contour shade doubles as a cream eyeshadow. Bonus
- Stila Heaven’s Hue Highlighter in Transcendence – I’d say this is a mixture between a powder and cream. This opalescent lavender shade is really different, and looks so pretty on the inner corners of the eyes
- Le Metier de Beaute After Glow Blush – this peach blush, pale gold highlight combo is incredible. AND – ideal for on the go! The powder is so finely milled, that it can be easily blended with a finger
- Becca Cosmetics x Chrissy Teigen Palette – ugh. I don’t know how much more I can rave about this thing. Stunning rose gold highlight that looks amazing on cheeks, eyes, everywhere. A gorgeous perk-your-face-up blush, and a lovely warm bronzer. Bury me in this palette
And, that’s it! Please let me know if you’ve tried any of the above, and, let me know what your highlighter suggestions are!